- nounconfinement to bed continuously (as in the case of some sick or injured persons)• Syn: ↑bedrest
* * *noun: continuous confinement of a sick person to bed (as in treatment of tuberculosis or certain nerve disorders)
* * *1. a prolonged rest in bed, as in the treatment of an illness.2. a device used to support a person sitting up in bed.[1870-75]
* * *bed rest,1. rest taken in bed, especially by a patient.2. an apparatus for supporting patients in bed.
* * *n. confinement of an invalid to bed as part of treatment
* * *noun [noncount]: rest while lying in a bed
The doctor prescribed bed rest for a month.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bed rest — is a doctor s prescription to spend a longer period of time in bed.Adverse effectsProlonged bed rest has long been known to have deleterious physiological effects, such as muscle atrophy and other forms of deconditioning. Besides lack of physical … Wikipedia
bed-rest — (n.) device for sitting up in bed, by 1836; as a resting in bed for recovery from injury or illness, by 1896; from BED (Cf. bed) (n.) + REST (Cf. rest) (n.) … Etymology dictionary
bed rest — /ˈbɛd rɛst/ (say bed rest) noun rest while confined to one s bed, as for an invalid, convalescent, etc … Australian English dictionary
bed rest — bed′ rest n. 1) a prolonged rest in bed, as in the treatment of an illness 2) fur a device used to support a person sitting up in bed • Etymology: 1870 … From formal English to slang
bed-rest — bedˈ rest noun 1. Confinement to bed, usu on medical orders 2. A support for someone sitting up in bed • • • Main Entry: ↑bed … Useful english dictionary
bed rest — n confinement of a sick person to bed * * * confinement of a patient to bed … Medical dictionary
bed rest — n. a period of resting in bed … English World dictionary
bed rest — 1. a prolonged rest in bed, as in the treatment of an illness. 2. a device used to support a person sitting up in bed. [1870 75] * * * … Universalium
bed rest — resting in bed, recuperation by sleeping in bed … English contemporary dictionary
bed rest — noun Date: 1944 confinement of a sick person to bed … New Collegiate Dictionary